You are here
Date added 1 October 2007
Last edited 21 December 2009
Dublin Core Metadata Element Set
The Dublin Core Metadata Element Set is a basic standard which can be easily understood and implemented, and as such is one of the best known metadata standards. It was originally developed, in 1995, as a core set of elements for describing the content of web pages and enabling their search and retrieval. The Dublin Core Metadata Element Set consists of 15 elements which address the most basic descriptive, administrative and technical elements required to uniquely identify a digital resource. The emphasis is now on supporting resource discovery across domains.
Most resource discovery metadata standards can be mapped to the Dublin Core Metadata Element Set, enabling basic federated searching across metadata, created using a number of different standards, without detracting from richer metadata held elsewhere. A draft specification for expressing Dublin Core in XML is available from the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI).
DCMI develops and maintains a suite of inter-related Standards. It coordinates a number of working groups who collaborate to develop a metadata registry which supports extended and qualified profiles of Dublin Core, tailored to the needs of a number of different communities or functions. These include Dublin Core Collection Description Application Profile (for describing whole collections) and Dublin Core Library Application Profile (for describing published library holdings).
Standards Developing Organisations
- Dublin Core Metadata Initiative
- National Information Standards Organization
- American National Standards Institute
[To be added]
- Access, Use and Reuse
- Create or Receive
- Description and Representation Information
- Digital Archive Standards
- Digital Repository Standards
- Electronic Records Management Standards
- Metadata Structure Standards
- 2009 - ISO 15836:2009, Information and Documentation -The Dublin Core Metadata Element Set [external]
- Available to purchase from ISO.
- Dublin Core Metadata Initiative [external]
- Dublin Core Metadata Initiative homepage.
- DCMI Metadata Terms [external]
- All metadata terms maintained by the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative.
- Expressing Simple Dublin Core in RDF/XML [external]
- Dublin Core Metadata Initiative recommendations.
- DCMI Abstract Model [external]
- Wikipedia entry for Dublin Core. [external]
Alternative Current Version
- 2007 - ANSI/NISO Z39.85, The Dublin Core Metadata Element Set [external PDF]
- Fully revised and reissued in 2007 to take account of the Dublin Core Namespace Policy (DCMI Namespace).
- 1 September 1998 - RFC 2413 [external]
- 2001 - ANSI/NISO Z39.85, the Dublin Core Metadata Element Set [external PDF]
- DCMI Abstract Model
- Dublin Core Metadata Initiative Terms
- DCMI Encoding Guidelines
- DCMI Type Vocabulary
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- IANA: Mime Media Types
- IETF RFC 3968: Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic
- IETF RFC 4646: Tags for Identifying Languages
- W3C Note: Date and Time Formats