You are here
Date added 20 June 2006
Last edited 12 November 2009
Encoded Archival Description
This standard defines principles and criteria for designing, developing and maintaining an encoding scheme for archive and library finding aids. The standard accommodates hierarchical registers and inventories of any length describing the full range of archival holdings, including textual and electronic documents, visual materials and sound recordings.
The encoding scheme originally used an XML document type definition (DTD) which consisted of two parts: an XML-compliant DTD and a detailed tag library. EAD, version 1 was originally published as an SGML compliant DTD in 1998, along with application guidelines containing extensive examples of encoded finding aids. This was superseded by the XML compliant DTD EAD, Version 2002. The XML schema for EAD, Version 2002 was released in February 2007.
Although the term finding aid traditionally encompasses a wide variety of tools to describe, control and provide access to archives and manuscript collections, this encoding standard is primarily for inventories and registers. Its design, however, does not preclude further development to accommodate other types of finding aids, such as repository guides.
Standards Developing Organisation
- Network Development and MARC Standards Office
- Network Development and MARC Standards Office of the Library of Congress
Copyright: The Society of American Archivists, 2002. All rights reserved.
- Access, Use and Reuse
- Create or Receive
- Description and Representation Information
- Preservation Planning
- Digital Archive Standards
- Digital Repository Standards
- XML DTD and Schema
- 2002 - Encoded Archival Description, version 2002 [external]
- EAD 2002 DTD, and schema in both RNG and XSD and associated Tag Library
- Encoded Archival Description Version 2002 Official Site [external]
- Includes documentation for EAD version 2002 and the now superseded EAD version 1.0 (1998)
- Research Libraries Group (RLG) EAD Best Practice Guidelines for Encoded Archival Description [external PDF]
- Wikipedia entry for EAD [external]
- EAD Help Pages [external]
- Tools, resources, implementors directory etc
Alternative Current Versions
- 1998 - Encoded Archival Description, version 1.0 [external]
- EAD version 1.0 DTD and associated Tag Library
- ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description
- MARC 21