You are here
Date added 6 November 2006
Last edited 12 November 2009
ISO 14721: Space Data and Information Transfer Systems - Open Archival Information System - Reference Model
The OAIS Reference Model defines the processes required for effective long-term preservation and access to information objects, while establishing a common language to describe these. It does not specify an implementation, but provides the framework to make a successful implementation possible, through describing the basic functionality required for a preservation archive. OAIS identifies mandatory responsibilities and interactions of producers, consumers and managers of both paper and digital records. It provides a standardised method to describe repository functionality by providing detailed models of archival information and archival functions.
Using the OAIS Reference Model, as a template for information preservation, demonstrates a long-term commitment to ensuring that relevant workflows and architectures are in place for information to remain available to those who need to use it (the Designated Community).
Standards Developing Organisations
- International Organization for Standardization
- Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems
No information available.
- Whole Lifecycle
- Digital Archive Standards
- Electronic Records Management Standards
- Reference Models and Frameworks
- 2003 - ISO 14721: Space Data and Information Transfer Systems - Open Archival Information System - Reference Model [external]
- Full text available for purchase from ISO.
- Brian F. Lavoie, The Open Archival Information System Reference Model: Introductory Guide, Digital Preservation Coalition Technology Watch Series Report 04-01 (January 2004) [external PDF]
- A helpful introductory guide to using the Standard
- Cornell University Library, Online Tutorial: Digital Preservation Management: Implementing Short-term Strategies for Long-term Problems. Module 4B: The OAIS Reference Model: [external]
- Online training module on OAIS
- Wikipedia entry for OAIS [external]
Alternative Current Version
- January 2002 - Reference Model for an Open Archival Information System (OAIS) [external PDF]
- This CSSDS Blue Book contains the same text as ISO 14721: 2003 and is freely available.
- IEEE Storage System Standards Working Group. Reference Model for Open Storage Systems Interconnection, September 1994
- ISO 12175:1994, Space Data and Information Transfer Systems - Standard Formatted Data Units - Structure and Construction Rules
- ISO 15889:2003, Space Data and Information Transfer Systems -- Data Description Language - EAST Specification
- ISO 21961:2003, Space Data and Information Transfer Systems - Data Entity Dictionary Specification Language (DEDSL) - Abstract Syntax
- ISO 21962:2003, Space Data and Information Transfer Systems - Data Entity Dictionary Specification Language (DEDSL) - PVL Syntax
- ISO 9660:1988, Information Processing -Volume and File Structure of CD-ROM for Information Interchange
- Unified Modeling Language. Version 1.1