You are here
Date added 16 May 2007
Last edited 12 November 2009
ISO 23950: Information and documentation - Information Retrieval (Z39.50) - Application Service Definition and Protocol Specification
The objective of ISO 23950 (Z39.50) is to facilitate the open interconnection of database users with database providers.
The standard specifies a client/server based protocol for information retrieval. Procedures and structures for database search, record retrieval, and result set scanning and sorting. Support is given to access controls, resource control, extended services and help facilities.
The ways in which databases are implemented differ considerably; different systems have different styles for describing the storage of data and the means by which it can be accessed. A common, abstract model is therefore used in describing databases, to which an individual system can map its implementation. This enables different systems to communicate in standard, mutually understandable terms.
Standards Developing Organisation
- International Organization for Standardization
No information available.
- Access, Use and Reuse
- Digital Archive Standards
- Searching Protocols
- 1998 - ISO 23950: Information and Documentation - Information Retrieval (Z39.50) - Application Service Definition and Protocol Specification [external]
- Full documentation available to purchase from the ISO website
- Z39.50 International Standard Maintenance Agency [external]
- Includes documentation for various versions of Z39.50, resources, profiles and details of ZIG- the Z39.50 User Group
- Wikipedia entry for ISO 23950 (Z39.50) [external]
Alternative Current Version
- 2003 - ANSI/NISO Z39.50 - Information Retrieval : Application Service Definition and Protocol Specification [external PDF]
- Maintenance revision of Z39.50-1995, which is equivalent to ISO 23950: 1998
- ANSI/NISO Z39.53: 2001, Codes for the Representation of Languages for Information Interchange
- ISO 10160: 1991, Information and Documentation - Interlibrary Loan Application Service Definition for Open Systems Interconnection
- ISO 10161: 1991, Information and Documentation - Interlibrary Loan Application Protocol Specification for Open Systems Interconnection
- ISO 2709: Documentation - Format for Bibliographic Information Interchange on Magnetic Tape
- ISO 4217: 1990, Codes for the representation of currencies and funds
- ISO 8777: Information and Documentation - Commands for Interactive Text Searching
- ISO 8824:1990, Specification of Abstract Syntax Notation one (ASN.1)
- ISO 8825:1990, Specification of Basic Encoding Rules for Abstract Syntax Notation one (ASN.1/BER)