You are here
ISO 2788: Monolingual Thesauri
Date added 30 May 2007
Last edited 10 November 2009
ISO 2788, Guidelines for the Establishment and Development of Monolingual Thesauri
ISO 2788:1986 consists of recommendations for the establishment and development of consistent indexing practice within an organisation or a consortium. The standard assumes that indexing is being done by humans using natural language to select indexing terms. It is most suitable for cataloguing and descriptive metadata. The standard only deals with monolingual thesauri and is based on the use of preferred terms or indexing terms and non-preferred terms or synonyms.
ISO 2788 chapters cover vocabulary control, indexing terms, use of compound terms, basic relationships within a thesaurus, display of terms and their relationships and management of thesaurus construction.
Standards Developing Organisation
- International Organization for Standardization
No information available.
- Access, Use and Reuse
- Create or Receive
- Description and Representation Information
- Digital Archive Standards
- Electronic Records Management Standards
- 1986 - ISO 2788: Documentation - Guidelines for the Establishment and Development of Monolingual Thesauri [external]
- Full text available for purchase from ISO.
- Wikipedia entry for ISO 2788 [external]
Alternative Current Versions
- ISO 5964: Multilingual Thesauri
- ISO 5964, Documentation - Guidelines for the Establishment and Development of Multilingual Thesauri