You are here
ISO 5964: Multilingual Thesauri
Date added 4 June 2007
Last edited 10 November 2009
ISO 5964, Documentation - Guidelines for the Establishment and Development of Multilingual Thesauri
ISO 5964 extends the scope of ISO 2788 to cover particular considerations for multilingual thesauri development for the establishment of consistent indexing practice within an organisation or consortium. Like ISO 2788, the standard assumes that indexing is being done by humans using normal language, and is based on the concept of preferred terms or indexing terms and non-preferred terms or synonyms.
The standard covers general problems, language problems and management decisions required when establishing a multilingual thesaurus. It considers the issues of vocabulary control, establishing equivalent terms across different languages, relationship between terms, display of terms and relationships, form and contents and organisation of work.
Standards Developing Organisation
- International Organization for Standardization
No information available.
- Access, Use and Reuse
- Create or Receive
- Description and Representation Information
- Digital Archive Standards
- Electronic Records Management Standards
- 1985 - ISO 5964: Documentation - Guidelines for the Establishment and Development of Multilingual Thesauri [external]
- Full text available for purchase from ISO.
- Wikipedia entry for ISO 5964 [external]
Alternative Current Versions
- ISO 2788: Monolingual Thesauri
- ISO 2788, Guidelines for the Establishment and Development of Monolingual Thesauri